Simple 2D Dock Modification
02:02AM — Sunday, July 10, 2011.
Update: I have added @2x versions for Retina Macs.
I’ve been using this dock modificaton for a couple of years1 now and I thought I’d share it. The default 2D dock2 has a horrible fat white stroke on it. I modified the images so they’re all just 55% transparent black. I also made the separator a simple line instead of the zebra crossing.
It changes the bottom, left and right 2D docks.
- Download the modified .png’s.
- In Finder, navigate to: HD → System → Library → CoreServices → Dock.app3 → Contents → Resources
- Backup all the .png’s in the Resources folder that match the file names in the download.
- Delete them out of the Resources folder.
- Copy the .png’s from the download into the Resources folder.
- Open Terminal and type:
To the best of my knowledge, these same .png’s work in Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion. But backup the originals. ↩
If you currently have the 3D dock enabled you’ll need to switch to 2D. Open Terminal and type this:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock↩
You’ll need to right click and Show Package Contents. ↩